What's new in GMS 10.6
The following is a list of the more significant changes and new features available in GMS 10.6.
The latest version of MODFLOW-USG-Transport (v1.8) is now supported in GMS 10.6 and includes support for the following packages:
- MDT package (matrix diffusion)
- SMS package - SOLVEACTIVE, DAMPBOT, SHIFT, TRUNCATEDNEWTON
- RIV package - MERGE_BED_K1
- WEL package - WELLBOT
Customer Feature Requests
Raster Display Options - Separate contour options for each raster (first introduced in 10.5.5).
The latest version of MODFLOW-NWT (v1.2) is now supported in GMS 10.6.
The latest version of mod-PATH3DU (v2.1.5) is now supported in GMS 10.6.
New tutorials are now available for:
- MODFLOW 6 - Conceptual Model Approach
- MODFLOW 6 - Evapotranspiration
- MODFLOW 6 - Stream Package
- MODFLOW 6 - Building a Transient Model
- MODFLOW 6 - Transport Grid Approach
- MODFLOW 6 - Transport Uncoupled
As always, our comprehensive tutorials are free to download and provide step-by-step instruction on using GMS. Download tutorials at the GMS Learning Center
The following is a list of the more significant changes and new features available in GMS 10.5.
MODFLOW 6 Beta
Support for MODFLOW 6 is now in beta for GMS 10.5. This new version of MODFLOW allows users to define traditional grids or unstructured grids. GMS 10.5 with MODFLOW 6 offers a simulation based approach allowing users to develop any number of simulations in a single project that can share common information.
GMS 10.5 includes support for the Time-Variant Materials (TVM) package with MODLOW-USG Transport. The TVM package allows hydraulic conductivity and storage values to be changed as a step function between stress periods or in a continuous manner through a transient simulation.
Tile Map Services (TMS)
TMS can be used for import or background image display. Simplify map displays by rendering map tiles at fixed scales rather than breaking down one large image. This helps pinpoint and save one particular tile of a map as opposed to the entire image.
Faster Display of Large Rasters
Large rasters are now displayed more quickly in the graphics window.
Additional Map Services
New data sources from Google and ArcGIS have been added to the “Get Online Maps” tool.
New Software-based Licensing
GMS 10.5 offers 2 new licensing methods including Local and Flex licenses that are software based - no hardware required! Existing users will have the option of migrating to either method at their next maintenance renewal. Learn more
- Local license: Designed for use on a single computer and offers support for Remote Desktop & virtual machines
- Flex license: Offers the flexibility of sharing a license on your network as well as a check-out / check-in feature for remote work
Updated SAMG Solver with MF6 Support
The latest version of the SAMG Solver includes support for MODFLOW 6 and will soon be available in GMS 10.5. Purchase a new license with support for SAMG and MF6 or add it to an existing license that is current on annual maintenance.
Customer Feature Requests
Right-click menus now include Invert Selection and Zoom to Selection commands:
- Invert Selection: Switch between selected and non-selected objects
- Zoom to Selection: Select an object to zoom to that object filling the graphics window
Selection enhancements have been added:
- Left shift-click on nothing with something selected does not change what is selected
- Right-click on nothing with something selected does not clear the selection and shows the selected items menu
Snapping to existing objects when creating feature arcs has been improved for greater usability.
New tutorials are now available for the MODFLOW 6 Grid Approach as well as the MODFLOW-USG Transport TVM Package. As always, our comprehensive tutorials are free to download and provide step-by-step instruction on using GMS. Download tutorials at the GMS Learning Center
The following is a list of the more significant changes and new features available in GMS 10.4.
Keep your license current by paying annual maintenance to continue receiving all available updates, releases, and technical support. New licenses include maintenance for 1 full year.
GMS 10.4 supports MODFLOW-USG-Transport for transport modeling capabilities in MODFLOW-USG. MODFLOW-USG package support now includes BCT (Block Centered Transport), DDF (Density Dependent Flow), DPT (Dual Porosity Transport), and PCB (Prescribed Concentration Boundary).
GMS can now export MODFLOW files for use with MODFLOW 6. Support has also been added to run MODFLOW 6 from GMS and read the head and flow outputs which may be contoured. A GMS interface to MODFLOW 6 is under development to be released in the next version of GMS.
mod-PATH3DU Version 2.0
The latest version of mod-PATH3DU (v2.0) is now supported in GMS.
Contour labels on UGrids
When applying contours to a MODFLOW-USG model, labels can now be added to display dataset values.
CLN Observation Wells
Head observations for CLN (Connected Linear Network) wells can be created to measure the computed head in a CLN node (cell). These observations work in a similar manner to traditional observation wells with targets at these locations which are included in PEST model runs.
GMS now supports advanced LIDAR data handling tools for reading, viewing, and converting LIDAR data to other formats for use with your model. Large LIDAR datasets are efficiently displayed with options to specify the number of points visualized and exclusion extents.
More responsive background images
Working with large local image files is now easier due to better display management techniques. Background images from large or multiple files no longer force the user to wait for the image to load before continuing work in GMS. Images are displayed quickly and the project explorer shows "processing" until the display is complete.
New Projection & Coordinate System Options
The new projections dialog comes with an extensive library of geographic and projected coordinate systems as well as a search feature to quickly find a desired projection. The dialog keeps track of recently used projections and allows the user to save projections as favorites so they are readily available. EPSG codes can also be used to define a projection, and projections can be imported from .prj files.
New tutorials are now available for Conceptual Modeling (4), MODFLOW-USG-Transport, Save to MODFLOW 6, CLN Observation Wells, Lidar, and Lidar with Multiple Files. The Projections tutorial has also been updated. As always, our comprehensive tutorials are free to download and provide step-by-step instruction on using GMS.
Download tutorials at the GMS Learning Center
The following is a list of the more significant changes and new features available in GMS 10.3.
The updated MT3D-USGS includes advanced transport modeling capabilities and is now supported in GMS.
The latest version of PEST (v14.0) is now supported in GMS.
The latest version of MODFLOW-NWT (v1.1.2) is now supported in GMS.
Zone flow for MODFLOW-USG ZoneBudget is now available in GMS. (GMS Feature Request)
SYTP for HUF package
The SYTP parameter type is now supported in the HUF package.
Preserve DISU data created outside of GMS
DISU data that was created outside of GMS may now be preserved.
New tutorials are now available for mod-PATH3DU, MT3D-USGS, Shapefile to CLN, and Recharge. As always, our comprehensive tutorials are free to download and provide step-by-step instruction on using GMS.
Download tutorials at the GMS Learning Center
The mod-PATH3DU interface in GMS has been taken out of beta.
The latest version of mod-PATH3DU (v1.1.0) is now supported in GMS and includes:
- New Waterloo method and modified grid specification file
- Support for DefaultIFACE
- Model Checker added to find obvious model setup errors
- Model Wrapper and automatic reading of the solution
- Export options to save shapefiles of pathlines, pathline points, and polygon capture zones
- Option to create starting locations from UGrid points or cell centers
Shapefile to CLN
Shapefiles may now be mapped to the Connected Linear Network (CLN) package.
Mapping SFR2 to multiple surface layers
Map SFR2 to multiple surface layers is now supported in GMS. (GMS Feature Request)
Multiple UGrid Display Options & Split Layers
Display Options are now available for each UGrid in a project. UGrid layers may now be split. (GMS Feature Request)
High resolution displays caused icons and text in older versions of GMS to render very small. GMS now detects your display resolution and appropriately sizes icon bitmaps and fonts.
- Get Data Tool for downloading online data for a polygonal area
- Improved 2D mesh generation
- Change to dialog that asks about saving changes on File|New
- Export 3D Grid layer contours to a shapefile
- New Empty UGrid 2D command for creating UGrids that points will be added to (like a TIN or 2D Scatter Set)
- Notes (GMS Feature Request)
- Time format options (GMS Feature Request)
- Export multiple particle sets to shapefiles (GMS Feature Request)
- Include starting cell in pathline report for MODPATH, MP3DU (GMS Feature Request)
- TOB enhancements: iConcINTP set to 1 by default, add the well id to the comment lines in the header of the TOBS input file (GMS Feature Request)
- Reuse PEST Jacobian (GMS Feature Request)
- Option to export only active grid cells to shapefile (GMS Feature Request)
- Pathline arrows (time markers) to shapefile (GMS Feature Request)